Somerset House is a new kind of arts centre in the heart of London, designed for today’s audiences and creatives. One of the city’s most spectacular and well-loved spaces, we are a place where art and culture is imagined, made and experienced by our 3 million visitors every year.
From one-person start-ups to established creative businesses, Somerset House is home to possibly the largest creative community in London. Our residents include 250 organisations from the arts and creative industries: Courtauld Gallery and Institute, King’s College London Cultural Institute, British Fashion Council, and others ranging from advertising, branding, PR agencies and film production, to social enterprise and business support organisations. Around 2/3 of this community are commercial businesses and 1/3 are charities and social enterprise. The Somerset House Exchange provides co-working space for 120 small businesses and start-ups. Within Somerset House Studios, our community of artists, makers and thinkers, there is Makerversity, a pioneering collection of emerging maker businesses which we have supported since its launch.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE FOR OFFICE SPACE?
We look for applicants working in, or in support of, the creative industries, who want to play an active part in our community.
We aim to create an environment that stimulates creative projects and beneficial business for your organisation. Through collaboration and engagement, we encourage residents to work together; directly business to business or with Somerset House Trust.
Tapping into the wealth of talent within our community, we host a calendar of events, which brings together residents to learn new skills, create valuable connections, be inspired or simply unwind after work. It includes networking events, skills sharing schemes, talks and screenings, and social gatherings. We also strive to work with our community on our diverse and dynamic cultural programme.
We are therefore looking for companies that are willing to contribute ideas, services, and skills to the community, whether it is being a professional mentor or a pub quiz master!
Applications are welcome across all creative sectors. Having a multi-disciplined community is an important factor when selecting new residents. We do not seek to represent a specific genre of creative industry, but wish to house a range of talent and expertise.
Applications are welcome from organisations who meet the above criteria and in addition:
- Are actively enthusiastic to share ideas and projects with a community of creative businesses
- Have a UK presence
- Have carefully read the criteria and feel that they would be a good addition to the community based here
WHAT’S INCLUDED IN THE COST OF SPACE?
Office space at Somerset House is semi-serviced. Leases are 3 years in length with a generous break option.
As an office resident, your company will have:
- Its own profile on the Somerset House website
- Somerset House postal address
- Access to shared communal break-out spaces and tea-points
- A dedicated Community Coordinator to help you build your connections within the community and facilitates events and initiatives
- The opportunity to collaborate with other residents through the Somerset House community programme
- Opportunities to attend and initiate community events and socials
- Access to subsidised private meeting room space (subject to availability)
- Access to private event space at Somerset House at subsidised resident rates
- Discounts across the Somerset House site including cafés, restaurants, shops and many Somerset House exhibitions